2001.09_On Movers and Shapers (116.2001), Invitation, Project Description
- Digitizing sponsor
- Storefront for Art and Architecture, National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC), and Mr. Robert M. Rubin
- Storefront for Art and Architecture
THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 6, 2001 %u2013 SATURDAY OCTOBER 13, 2001
Movers and Shapers was a critical overview of contemporary housing developments in the city of Phoenix. It examined how landscape has been employed and exploited in the definition of Phoenix%u2019s urban identity. The show included a series of filmed interviews with landscapers, developers and city officials, and addressed the relationship between the desert and the urban community that inhabits it. The show also included photographs, drawings and models that narrated the journey of a 20-foot high saguaro cactus transplanted from its original location in Tucson to a new housing development in Phoenix. In its new context, the cactus became part of the visual simulation of the vernacular landscape, thus artificially extending the desert into a new social and urban context, and contributing to the construction of the city%u2019s identity. The exhibition was the product of a collaboration between photographer Ines Schaber and architect Jörg Stollman, both based in Berlin.
- 2018-12-03 19:45:05
- Sony Alpha-A6300 (Control)
- Box IA1: 60
- ABBYY FineReader 11.0 (Extended OCR)
- Storefront for Art and Architecture (Storefront) provides access to the materials in its archive ("Page Content") solely for noncommercial, educational, and research purposes. Aside from expressly permitted uses, you may not reproduce, distribute, create derivative works of, or publicly display or perform the Page Content in any manner without the prior written permission of the copyright owner or as permitted by law. Individual elements in this page may be owned by each project author, Storefront, or other parties. In addition to permission from Storefront, permission of the copyright owner (if not Storefront) and/or any holder of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) may also be required for reproduction, publication, distribution, and other uses. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of any item and securing any necessary permissions rests with the person(s) desiring to publish the item. Storefront makes no warranties as to the accuracy of the materials or their fitness for a particular purpose.
For print-disabled users
Uploaded by associate-cheri-destefano on